Thursday, March 10, 2011

Awaiting Arrival

Today I completed my second step towards my new hobby of sewing.  The first step was to contact my aunt to see if she could help me learn to sew.  She said yes and we have a scheduled "sew date" for the 20th.

My second step was to get a sewing machine.  Really, I already have a sewing machine (as you may remember from a previous post- a vintage Singer and table- $15 might I add!!!) however when I went to turn it on a few night ago, a horrible thing happened: the poor thing started SMOKING!  Brad and I both looked at the smoke for a second and then at each other as if we weren't really sure this was happening to my new Dream Machine.  I called a local sewing shop the next day to see how much it would be to have it looked at and they said it would be $122 to have it serviced- not including any parts that may need to be replaced or repaired.

I was so disappointed as I wrote the e-mail to my aunt that I would have to cancel our SD until I could budget this repair in.  The sweet thing e-mailed me back right away that said, "Whitney- why don't you just buy a new one???"  What a smart idea!  I hadn't thought of that...!  (duh)

So it's not quite my Dream Machine, but it's beautiful, a lot cheaper and on it's way!  This will get me started in my sewing and now I can gradually save up the money to get my vintage beauty up and running without having to sacrifice months of now sewing at all!  Thanks Aunt Judy!

1 comment:

  1. This is very exciting to me. Every year or so, I also get the urge to learn to sew and create things. Make sure you blog about anything and everything you make! Pictures of you and Aunt Judy would be cute too (since I am your exclusive reader).

    ReplyDelete